Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Homemade Hummus

Hummus is a great snack dip or a spread for your sandwich instead of mayo or other non-nutritional flavor enhancers.

The best recipe for hummus, in my opinion, comes from The Moosewood Cookbook. I love this cookbook for lots of delicious vegetarian recipes. Luckily, so I don't have to type it up from my book, I found a place on the internets with instructions for this tasty dip.

Moosewood Hummus



You can do lots of stuff to hummus and make it to your liking. I prefer to toast the garlic in a pan in its skin, let cool then peel it before I add it.  This sweetens it up and takes away some of the bite.  Add some roasted red peppers, tasty olives or green onions. So many delicious options.

I have also made a yogurt hummus dip.  You can use less tahini and leave out the bean liquid and use a plain yogurt to make it creamier and a little lower in fat.

1 comment:

  1. I've yet to make my own, I need to give this recipe a try.

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete