Thursday, October 30, 2014

Flexor carpi radialis

When I was in high school I was a swimmer. Long distance freestyle was my thing. There was one muscle in particular that I thought was really cool because it was nice and toned from swimming. Looking it up right now I learned that it's called the flexor carpi radialis muscle, located on the underside of the forearm, sort of toward the elbow. It helps flex and move the hand and wrist. So when you're swimming freestyle, every time you stroke, you're working that muscle as you pull through the water. I haven't had much contact with my friend flexor carpi in quite some time, many years, in fact. The other day I had my hand up at 12 'o clock on the steering wheel and I had an itch on my arm. Lo and behold, there was my old friend! I can feel the muscle definition in my arm now! It was an exciting moment and in the last few weeks as I've been practicing swimming again it's been getting so much stronger. Talking with my husband, he knew the muscles I was referencing but instead of swimming muscles he called them his piano playing muscles. Kind of a silly thing to be excited about, but hey, you gotta recognize your successes where you can. I'll bet everyone in this challenge could find a small but significant change like this to be excited about!

No comments:

Post a Comment