Stephanie introduced this idea to me a couple of weeks ago. I, of course. poo-pooed it right away. Who in their right mind would choose to eat squash instead of penne? I decided I would give it a try, and was very pleasantly surprised.
1. Half a spaghetti squash and lightly spoon out the seeds.
2. Lightly drizzle the open face of the squash with an olive oil, apply salt and pepper.
3. Roast the halved squash for 45 minutes at 375 degrees.
4. Scrape the depths of the spaghetti squash into a dish.
5. Warm or prepare your favorite pasta sauce.
6. Combine and enjoy.
You can add a few noodles if you want to feel like you still have some thicker substance in your meal. Even replacing half of your typical noodle portion will dramatically cut down on your calorie intake, and increase your nutrient density.